May 18, 2019It’s been a busy week

It’s been a busy week

Oops, Friday I walked into a plate glass window. Copyright © 2019 Gary Allman, all rights reserved.

Wednesday — I was up at four-thirty for an early morning flight to Louisville Kentucky (via Chicago). I was staying for a couple of days of meetings of the board of The Brotherhood of St. Andrew. I have volunteered to help the brotherhood with their communications efforts, and ended up with the very grandiose sounding honorary title of 1st VP Communications and Public Relations. I arrived at Louisville, where the brotherhood is headquartered, just after two, and had just enough time to get to the accommodation and unpack before the week’s events kicked off with some social time in the evening.

Morning Prayer – The Brotherhood of St. Andrew. Copyright © 2019 Gary Allman, all rights reserved.

Thursday — all day meeting, starting just after eight. With the day’s business done, We headed straight to the restaurant for our evening meal and some more social time.

Bishop Terry White, Eighth Bishop of Kentucky, blessed the new National Office of The Brotherhood of St. Andrew May 17, 2019. Copyright © 2019 Gary Allman, all rights reserved.
Christ Church Cathedral, Louisville, Kentucky. Copyright © 2019 Gary Allman, all rights reserved.

Friday — started badly, we had a seven-thirty start, but I wanted to get some pictures of the cathedral before we got going, so I was packed and heading out before seven. In my hurry I manged to walk full speed into a plate glass window that blocked a corridor where I was staying. There was blood, and subsequently some swelling and a couple of minor black eyes.

Undaunted but staggering slightly I got my pictures and arrived at the meeting pretty much on time. After finishing up our business, we walked to the new offices, and on the way one of my colleagues tripped and fell. He ended up in urgent care. My accident was a minor inconvenience in comparison. Bishop Terry White, Eighth Bishop of Kentucky, visited to bless the offices, and that closed our meeting. I flew from Louisville to Charlotte and hence back to Springfield arriving after eight pm.

Saturday — I attended an area confirmation service at St. James, Springfield. There were five churches represented with around 20 confirmands — an excellent turn out. Several of those present (myself included) couldn’t stop to enjoy the after service hospitality as it was on to Christ Church in Springfield for the ordination of two priests. It’s great getting to document these events, but two in a day makes things a bit hectic! I arrived home around seven-thirty.

Sunday — Unlike the bishop and clergy, I took a day off. Though I now have a lot of pictures from the meeting, office blessing, confirmations and ordinations to process and publish.

I think that concludes all my churchy activities for Lent and the great 50 days of Easter. The bishop’s wife will take pictures at the final set of confirmations, saving me seven hours driving and freeing me up to attend my monthly brotherhood meeting. I’ve not been out hiking or backpacking since March 25. Maybe if I can get the yard mowed again soon, I can manage some wilderness time.

Copyright © 2019 Gary Allman, all rights reserved.


Scroll to Top