It took a lot of work to remove the old workbench and prep that wall ready for painting. Besides the preexisting hole in the wall, I managed to do a fair bit of damage prising the workbench out — it was nailed to the wall and there were a lot of nails used, so lots of holes to patch. You can get an idea of the number of nails involved by looking at the boards leaning over on the left of the frame. It was so well secured I even used the hydraulic jack to help break it up.
Magically the pile of lumber has grown (another trip to Lowes), and in the foreground is the new-to-me table saw which Jim found in a yard sale sometime last year. I’ve never had a table saw before, and I must say that I wish I’d bought one years ago. Now if I don’t have a piece of wood the size I need, I can produce something in minutes. The table saw ($100), along with my compound miter saw, circular saw ($15 in a yard sale), drill press ($1 in a yard sale), and cordless drill are my most used tools. And it just goes to show how a bit of time spent rummaging around in yard sales around can save a lot of money. I must have got 80% of my tools in yard sales.
Sitting on the table saw is a quick test build of the top rail that will carry the sliding doors. Based on the results of making the test piece I have decided to trim the back of the horizontal 2″x4″ cross piece to make sure it screws in square. It’s going to be a heavy beam, but it has to carry the weight of the doors, and the top shelf over an unsupported span of around five or more feet. I’ll be using some 3/8″ Lag screws I have to fix it in place, plus I’ll glue it too. I don’t think it’ll have any trouble with the weight.