January 31, 2022.Well, that didn’t go as planned…

Well, that didn’t go as planned…

At least one of the shelving units fits in where it is supposed to go. Copyright © 2022 Gary Allman, all rights reserved.

As usual, things took a lot longer to do than I anticipated, and I made two annoying mistakes.

You may, or may not, be wondering why there is a set of shelves standing in the middle of the floor. Well… the shelves fit exactly in the space, but I forgot to make allowance for the door trim, so there is no way to actually get the shelves into the space. When I realized this, My knee-jerk reaction — beyond a lot of swearing — was to break the shelf unit down and reduce its width. However, I’d already glued and screwed it together and the glue had set. I tried chamfering off the back corner so it could be rotated into place. Nope. that wasn’t going to work.

Our final plan cannot be completed until the shelves are painted. Then we’ll take down one of the wall cabinets, and that will give me enough room to get the shelf unit into place. What a stupid mistake to make.

This reminds me of my ‘Great Window Frame Debacle’ back in the eighties.

This reminds me of my ‘Great Window Frame Debacle’ back in the eighties. Then I had designed an extra room for the back of my house, complete with a huge floor-to-ceiling window, some eight feet high and ten or twelve feet long. The window frame had to be custom-built and was already being manufactured when in the middle of the night, I woke up to realize there was no way to get the frame on-site, except by craning it over the top of the house. Something that was way out of my budget.

I eventually came up with a solution that involved bribing several of my neighbors with beer, and between us, we manhandled the huge and very heavy window frame across the walls and fences of three adjoining properties. You would think I had learned a lesson not to be forgotten. Obviously not.

The second, error was to pick up non-hardening wood putty, instead of wood filler at the store. Now I have to get all the putty out and then refill fill all the screw holes with the proper stuff. Until that’s done, we can’t paint and install the shelves. Another unnecessary delay.

The net result of the above was that I only got I set of shelves finished Saturday. Sunday after work, I started assembling the second unit, which does fit in place (left of frame in the picture). I still have all the shelves to add, and it has to be lifted up into place. hopefully, I’ll get the last of the shelves and the doors fitted Monday night.

Copyright © 2022 Gary Allman, all rights reserved.


Scroll to Top