I’m about to take delivery of a new camera, so I took a few test shots of my desk with my current camera to be able to compare the results.
Believe it or not, this is how my desk looks most of the time — give or take a magazine or two and my cell phone.
What’s On My Desk
Let’s have a bit of fun, and I’ll point out the obvious. Along the back…
- Speakers. D’oh! that’s fairly obvious.
- Cell phone stand & charging cable. I made the stand a while ago. It keeps the phone out of my way.
- Book of Common Prayer. I have a pdf version, but I prefer to thumb through the pages.
- Photographs. These glass frames are double-sided, I turn them around every few days.
- Buck 110 Knife. I love this knife, but it’s just a bit too heavy for every day carry, so it sits on my desk.
- Pilot Metropolitan fountain pens. I probably should find somewhere else to keep my collection, but I like having them close to hand, even though recently I’ve been pretty much exclusively using the Conklin Durograph.
- Desk Tidy. One day, when I get around to replacing the desktop I’ll add drawers and all this stuff can be kept out of sight.
- PC. I’d rather not have the PC on the desk, but it is a standing desk, and the computer needs to go up and down with it. At some point I may suspend the computer underneath, but I am not keen on dealing with limited access. One could argue that access to the innards of the machine is not needed very often and my experience tends to agree. But, when I need to get inside it’s typically a hardware emergency, and I won’t want to waste time unstrapping it from a sling.
At the front…
- Leather writing pad. This is so good. And — as I’ve said before — I wish I’d made one a long time ago. I also get a huge amount of pleasure from conditioning and polishing it.
- Journal. My hand-made leather journal cover containing my bujo, personal journal and mini sketch pad.
- Conklin Duragraph. My current favorite fountain pen. The inks I’m favoring right now are Diamine Ox Blood and DeArtramentis Cherry.
- Keyboard & Tablet. I don’t use the tablet as much as I should, and I really like this three-quarter size keyboard. Both are wireless, which is great. I can use them from my office sofa when I’m feeling that way inclined.
Copyright © 2017 Gary Allman, all rights reserved.